5/4/2017: Week 12 – A Different Animal Calls

Hey everyone!

I only got one day in the lab this week, but I still have new stuff to talk about! 



BACK TO THE LAB AGAIN


I was traveling yet again, so I missed going to the lab on Monday. From what I heard, all Monday entailed was scrubbing and drying some more amnion and sterilizing a few containers under a UV light. Tuesday was a lot more eventful.


As soon as I got to the lab, I realized this was the first time all three of the interns would be working together in the new lab, and as if to commemorate the occasion, we had a very special job ahead of us. But before I get into that, here are the pictures of the new lab that I promised in my last post.


Side #1


Side #2


Double Office Action


Pretty sweet, isn't it? Now, the "special task" I mentioned before. Apparently, Dr. Barcelo had some frozen canine stem cells from two years ago, so on Tuesday, we got to work with something that didn't come from a horse! We spent most of the time simply cleaning the cells, and while the procedures were all pretty much the same, it was pretty cool getting to handle a different animal's stem cells. The biggest difference was that the canine stem cells were a lot darker, making the cell solution a forest green. Dr. Barcelo said this is due to differences in anatomy and canine placentas being exposed to more blood, and it was really neat getting to see how these cells looked so different, even though they're essentially the same. 


Super Dark Pellet!


Other than that, nothing too interesting happened in the lab this week. The tests on the cells we're trying to pack did come in, and they weren't exactly what we were hoping for. However, there is still a chance we can pack some product next week, and if we do, I'll definitely be talking about it in my next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2/24/2017: Week 3 – Time to Get Technical

3/3/2017: Complicated Papers x 2

3/20/2017: Week 6 – Building and Crushing